26 January 2009

Wreck This Journal


I bought this journal a week or so ago, and love it.. the idea is that it sparks your own creativity and lets you completely 'wreck' it in a manner of ways. As well as the opportunity to do some real journalling and artwork within the pages.
Some of the ideas on the pages are very strange -but are all designed for fun.
It has already 'taught' me things - like how to let go of fixed and rigid ideas - the whole 'what is supposed to be right' kinda thing........ Here's an example. When I showed Bec my new journal she seemed a little miffed that I had it... she then told me she really loved Keri Smith and was wanting one herself. Prior to stumbling upon this book in the bookstore, I had never even heard of Keri Smith!! or the "wreck this journal" - it was a serendipitous find for me obviously :)
Anyway, back to the story.....
I found a page within the journal that said "give the journal to someone else and ask them to wreck a page" or something similar to that. So I gave Bec my journal - bare in mind it was all NEW and SHINY black....... and the one thing I don't like doing (my rigid fixed idea) is that all books are respected and lovingly cared for, in a gentle kind way......... and that you NEVER EVER break the spine or front covers....... sigh - I bet you can now guess what Bec did with my journal...... yup, cracked the spine, bent the front cover diagonally and WRECKED IT.....argghhhhhh after 10 minutes of inner sulking, I realised something....... it wasn't really wrecked at all - in fact it looked very LOVED and USED and APPRECIATED - (Kinda like me, in some ways hahaha)
So I liked it - and learned to let go of that rigid idea I have had FOREVER~~!!
Now Chrysti posted a comment on her blog about the journal - It's her giveaway today....... she asked about ways to wreck it. So of course I had to comment about my journal and Bec's contribution to it..... I really hope I win this giveaway, FOR Bec - then she can wreck her own journal :)
Here's the link to the giveaway by the wonderful Chrysti
Here's a group on flickr dedicated to 'wreck this journal pages'
Here's Chrysti's wrecked journal pages so far on flickr

I hope you enjoyed my ramblings, and I will post some of my 'wrecked journal' pages when I get around tuit........ :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Hope you have a blast continuing to wreck your journal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic idea -- it takes the "perfection" out of the equation...which is never a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so wanted to buy this. But I have NO time. None. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment on my blog. All comments are welcomed.